SRI Robotics Heritage
For more than 40 years, SRI International has been at the forefront of robotics research and development. Today, SRI International has assembled a world class team and stands as one of the top robotics research organizations in the world, producing innovative platforms such as the Taurus manipulator, PROXI (the DARPA humanoid), MicroFactories, and the SuperFlex exo-suit. Moving beyond the lab, SRI International drives innovation and value through commercial and government projects ultimately resulting in top tier spinoff companies, such as Intuitive Surgical, Redwood Robotics and GrabIt Inc.
The Director will provide business strategy and vision that will foster the next wave of technical innovation in robotics development. S/he will recruit and support the next generation of technical leaders and work collaboratively with a team of resident experts in their respective fields to seed and grow cutting edge technology, advanced prototypes, products and companies. Strong Customer and Business Development skills in both the US Government and Commercial sectors are essential.
Reporting to the Vice President of Applied Sciences in the Advanced Technology and Systems Division of SRI International, the Director of Robotics will be chartered to grow our portfolio of robotics technology projects, fostering business development relationships with government and commercial organizations resulting in future advanced technology development programs. S/he will act as the strategic director of research, providing vision, business strategy, and business development expertise. S/he will also bring operational excellence to manage the budget and P&L of the Robotics Lab and personnel management for a staff of approximately 30 multidisciplinary staff.
The Director is responsible for envisioning the future and ultimately driving the success of the Robotics lab. S/he will bring strength in operations, business development, recruiting, client management and strategy to the team. A demonstrable track record of success in the field of robotics will have driven this individual to accomplishments in academics, government, and industry. Thriving in a complex environment that combines the excitement and innovation of startups and the multi-disciplinary infrastructure of an established organization, this individual will appreciate the mission that comes with SRI International’s mission to create technology and solutions that will make people healthier, safer, and more productive.
- Drive ongoing business development needs that anticipate technological advancement and direction.
- Develop and expand a world-class robotics technology portfolio that aligns the latest advancements in robotics with government and commercial market needs.
- Foster and oversee all SRI International Robotics engagements with government and commercial customers.
- Continually recruit, develop and support an organization of exceptional scientists and engineers that will be the foundation of future endeavors.
- Provide thought leadership that inspires and invigorates the team to succeed.
- Collaborate with SRI Ventures to drive the next wave of game-changing, industry-leading robotics spinoffs that change the world.
- 10+ years leading R&D and successful commercialization of robotics technology.
- Ph.D. or MS with a systems approach is required. MBA or comparable business credentials a plus.
- Successful P&L and master budget management experience.
- Deep understanding of the various U.S. Government markets for research and development (DARPA, DOD, and civilian agencies), as well as commercial markets.
- Track record of accomplishment, and demonstrable success in leadership, strategic thinking, metrics driven outcomes, systems and innovation.
- Proven track record building, mentoring and scaling world-class R&D teams.
- A strong history of effectively leading a complex array of initiatives and leveraging strengths across multiple teams and resources; excellent project management skills.
- Analytic and decisive decision maker with the ability to prioritize and communicate key objectives and tactics necessary to achieve organizational goals.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to collaborate, influence, negotiate, resolve conflicts, and effectively form partnerships at all levels of the organization.
- U.S. Citizenship required.
- Ability to obtain, maintain, or transfer a security clearance preferred.
Employment with SRI International is contingent upon the satisfactory completion of a background check.
SRI is an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit our career portal at https://www.sri.com/careers/search-jobs and apply to auto req ID 1720BR